On Friday, August 5, First Fridays will feature sidewalk sales and the return of Aurora Downtown’s annual Stolp Block Party.
Stolp Avenue will be closed off for the block party between Downer Place and Galena Boulevard as live art and food trucks take over the street. Live music will be performed at Millennium Plaza gazebo featuring School of Rock Geneva at 6 p.m. and A Sure Thang at 8 p.m.
Grumpy Gaucho, Holy Pierogi, Home Run Hot Dogs and Lemonade, Strawberries BBQ, Snow Cone Sisters, My Funnel Cake, and Culinary Gangster will be parked along Stolp Avenue. Tapville Social will bring their mobile beer and wine kiosk to the event.
Stolp Island Social will offer samples outside of their restaurant. Nonprofit organizations including Aurora Regional Fire Museum, AID, Cosmopolitan Club, and Waubonsee Community College will set up with community information.
If These Walls Could Talk will host live art and an indoor gallery. Several businesses along Stolp Avenue will be open with offerings.
The block party is from 6 to 10 p.m. The event is free and welcomes all ages and abilities.
Throughout downtown, the First Fridays event lineup includes more than two dozen activities for all ages.
- Artesan Lofts Art Gallery, 2 S. Stolp Ave., will host Soulmate Series: Local Artist Shelby Anderson’s painted series exhibiting her Soulmate Collection from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Gary Brown Art Gallery and Studio and Mark Radina Stained Glass, 7 S. Broadway, will feature outdoor art displays from 5 to 9 p.m.
- If These Walls Could Talk, 32 S. Stolp Ave., will host an indoor gallery from 6 to 10 p.m.
- La Quinta de los Reyes, 36 E. New York St., will feature La Sociedad D’Paul Music and Hornitos Paloma tasting from 6:30 to 10 p.m.
- Altiro Latin Fusion, 1 S. Stolp Ave., will feature Live Spanish Rock with Damián Rivera from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Tavern on Broadway, 24 N. Broadway, will have live music from 8 to 10 p.m.
- Tredwell Coffee, 14 W. Downer Pl. Ste 18, will be open with live music, art displays, and a barista partaking in the sidewalk sale in front from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Aurora Tap House, 134 W. Downer Pl., will feature live music by Downtown Charlie Brown, starting at 9 p.m.
- Amy Morton’s Stolp Island Social, 5 E. Galena Blvd., will host a live jazz trio, playing the music of today and yesterday, and they will also feature special cocktails and fine food offerings from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Culture Stock, 122 W. Downer Pl., will host “Respect the Mic” Spoken Word Poetry Open Mic and a Sidewalk Book Sale from 8 to 9:30 p.m.
- Endiro Coffee, 29 W. New York St., will host “Pay-what-you-can Barbecue Cook-off” courtesy of Indivisible Aurora’s community fridge project in partnership with Endiro Coffee from 5 to 9 p.m.
- 1881 Electric Cycle Company, 1 E. Benton St. Lower Level, will be open with jazz from The Holding Music along with a sidewalk sale, and e-bikes available for test rides from 7 to 10 p.m.
- French 75 Gallery and Lounge, 56 E. Galena Blvd., will feature The Secret Garden Cocktail: A special cocktail crafted specially for First Fridays from 2 p.m. to Midnight
- Fox Valley United Way, 44 E. Galena Blvd. and Aurora Fastprint, 54 E. Galena Blvd., will both host a 100th Birthday Celebration: Celebrate a century serving the Aurora Community from 4:30 to 7 p.m.
- SUPERJUMBO, 105 E. Galena Blvd., will be open with discount Yetee surplus from 2 to 9 p.m.
- The Cotton Seed Creative Exchange, 64 S. River St., will be open with The Sweets, Art and More: Banana Pudding Twist, Annelies Cookies + Lang’s Cookies | Izzy B’s Art and Henna Art ($25-$45) | Sophisticated Press shares publishing info from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- McCarty Mills Taproom and Bottleshop, 140 S. River St., will host Hip Hop Hosted By Curtis of Good Morning Aurora, Chicas Tacos, performance by Justin Wise and Cruz Ocho, and featured artist Pierre Lucero. Open until 11 p.m.
- G.A.R. Museum, 23 E. Downer Pl. will feature historic music performed by The Town Band, and a new exhibit about Aurora’s 145-year-old G.A.R. Hall from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Aurora Regional Hispanic Chamber of Commerce will host salsa lessons at Kathryn’s Place and QT3 Systems at the southwest corner of Stolp Avenue and Downer Place from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Lauren Underwood for Congress Field Office, 112 E. Galena Blvd., will be open for a meet and greet with Representative Underwood and her team. Light refreshments, Lauren Underwood swag and learn more about the Underwood campaign from 5 to 8 p.m.
- The Cornucopia Tea & Gift Shop, 63 S. Broadway, will be open for visitors to enter to win a Gift Basket – Door Prize $50 Value: Winner will be notified by email to pick up after the event plus a tea special: Buy 1 oz, get 1oz half off from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- The Riverfront Playhouse, 11-13 Water Street Mall, will host a Directors Workshop – One Act Performances: Live short performances of one-act scenes written by local playwrights from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Christian Science Reading Room, 34 S. Stolp Ave., will offer activities and freebies for kids. Book sales for all ages from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Zen Loft Wellness Center, 6 W. Downer Pl. upstairs, will be open with Magnolia Belly Dance at 7:30pm, $1/min chair massage + $10 mini tarot readings, Shop I of the Angeles plus meet and greet with Business Collective and live music with Mo Pippy from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Offbeat Thrift and Vintage, 14 W. Downer Pl. Ste. 16, will feature HUGE WITCH Sidewalk Sale: Shop for metaphysical wares or get a tarot or astrology reading starting at $25 from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Wyckwood House Boutique and Bar, 80 S. River St., will be open with pop-Ups featuring local artists: Jeannine’s Jems and Cherylyn Mixed Media Artist from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Waubonsee’s Back-to-School Bash, Hoyt Avenue, will offer free school supplies and treats. Enjoy storytime with bilingual children’s author Beatriz Cantu, a kid-friendly Imagination Station, Fall registration assistance, discover the ABCs of becoming a teacher plus Steel Drum Band performs from 5 to 8 p.m.
- All Spoked Up, 14 W. Downer Pl. Ste 10, will host Franny’s Summer Specials Sale. 20% off helmets, clothes, shoes, and gloves from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Aroma Roots Bath & Body and Obsidian Clothing, 32 N. Broadway, will host Sunbeam Air Plants Air Plant Bar create your own Air Plant for $10 and Soap Sale four for $22 plus Obsidian 50% off sale from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Undisputed Vintage, 14 W. Downer Pl. Ste 8, will be open with Repurposed Vintage – Live Screen Printing by Macappeal on vintage t-shirts. Free “Undisputed” screen printing on vintage tee w/purchase from 5 to 9 p.m.
For more information, visit www.auroradowntown.org.