The holiday lights will be shining brightly in downtown Batavia on Sunday, November 25 as the Batavia Park District kicks off the season with the Celebration of Lights Festival from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the Batavia Riverwalk.
Start your holiday gift-giving with making some fun kids crafts inside the Government Center from 5:00-7:00 p.m. and then take a tractor-pulled wagon ride around the Riverwalk to view all the twinkling lights. Craig Foltos and the Batavia Community Band will lead everyone in a community sing-a-long at 5:15 p.m. and Santa will arrive at approximately 5:30 p.m. Following the community tree lighting, the Peg Bond Center will be open as a warming house from 5:45-7:00 p.m. and kids can visit with Santa and receive a free gift. The event also includes free roasted chestnuts, a bake sale courtesy of the Batavia Fire Department and family photo opportunities throughout the Riverwalk. The Depot Museum will also be ‘Lighting Up the Gazebo’ at 6:00 p.m. as part of their Depot Museum Expansion Project Fundraiser.
Another special feature of the festival is Christmas Tree Lane – 25 trees decorated by local organizations located throughout the Riverwalk. You can help determine the “People’s Choice” tree from noon on Monday, November 19 through Saturday, November 24 at noon. View photos of all 25 trees on the Batavia Park District’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BataviaParkDistrict and “like” your favorite to submit your vote! The winning tree will be announced online November 24 and on stage during the tree lighting ceremony with Santa and Mayor Schielke during the festival!
The festival is presented by the Batavia Park District in partnership with the Batavia Chamber of Commerce, Batavia MainStreet, the City of Batavia and the Batavia Police Department.
The Celebration of Lights Festival planning committee also thanks our presenting sponsor Fermilab and standard sponsors Batavia Animal Clinic, McAlister’s Deli-Geneva, Chiro One Wellness Centers, and Yolo Glow Novelties.
- Free hayrides with food or $1 cash donation (proceeds directly benefit the Batavia Food Pantry)
- Free roasted chestnuts
- Family photo opportunity at the main stage of Peg Bond Center
- Hot dogs and hot chocolate for sale
- Holiday Craft Activities inside City Council Chambers
- Old fashioned ornament making for all ages at the Depot Museum, main level
- Batavia Community Band
- Community sing-a-long led by Craig Foltos, Foltos Tonsorial Parlor, accompanied by the Batavia Community Band
- Arrival of Santa
- Welcome by Mayor Schielke & Ceremonial Tree Lighting
- Santa’s Warming House: Visit Santa at the Peg Bond Center warming house and receive a treat from Santa (children under 10 while supplies last)
- Announcement of Christmas Tree Lane Winner
- Light Up the Gazebo at the Depot Museum
- Story Hour hosted by the Batavia Public Library at the Gustafson Research Center, located in the lower level of the Batavia Depot Museum
- Christmas Tree Lane-Twenty five holiday trees are decorated by local organizations and businesses.
For more information, please contact the Batavia Park District office at 630-879-5235 or make a donation to the ‘Light Up the Gazebo’ Depot Museum Expansion Project Fundraiser, visit bataviahistoricalsociety.org.