Remember That Green Stuff That’s Good For You?
Here’s another way to enjoy these nutrient-packed fruits!
And if you want to have fun with it, you can set this up to be a build-your-own taco bar as well. Need a little crunch? Garnish with some sunflower seeds. Or make your own corn strips (see below)- this will give you that crunch you crave without overdoing it on the starch. Vegetarian? Consider using black beans and diced sweet potato. YUM! This dish is very versatile and satiating- and simple!
What You Need
- 4 avocados, sliced in half and pitted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Lb Grass Fed Organic Beef Crumbles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream or Imitation Sour Cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- *(you can find this tiny can by the taco seasoning at the store)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- ½ cup Cotija cheese crumbles (queso fresco works)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- low-sodium salsa or homemade pico
- lime, wedged
What You Do
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the avocados, cut side up, on a baking sheet or in a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and warm the Beef Crumbles over medium high heat.
- Divide the beef crumbles among the avocados. Reserve extra beef crumbles for another use.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese and cook for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- While the avocados are in the oven, mix the sour cream with the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Add 1-2 teaspoons of water to thin if you’d like.
- Garnish the avocado tacos with Cotija/Queso Fresco, chopped tomatoes, green onion, cilantro and drizzle with the chipotle cream.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm with lime wedges for lime juice garnish.
- Corn Strips for Garnish
Preheat the oven to 375.
Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
Cut corn tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Add to a large bowl, toss with non-GMO cooking oil to coat lightly.
Sprinkle with seasonings.
I recommend a low-sodium blend you can make with:
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
Toss to coat tortilla strips evenly.